This Buddha bowl encompasses summer for me PERFECTLY. Smokey neighborhood BBQs, creamy potato salads, and relaxing in the sun. This vegan bowl is packed with plant based protein and fiber, and will leave you feeling full and healthy!
The tofu is smokey and spicy, and the potato salad (heavily adapted from Minimalist Baker) is creamy, full of raw and roasted veggies, and packs a spicy punch.
It might not be summer time outside, but it is in this Buddha bowl!
BBQ TOFU BUDDHA BOWLS
Prep time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 30 minutes
Author: Envi Eats
Type: Main Dish, Buddha Bowl
- 1 16-oz package extra firm tofu, pressed
- Annie’s Spicy BBQ sauce
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
VEGAN POTATO SALAD
- 1 lb red and sweet potatoes
- 1 cup raw, diced veggies (ie. bell pepper, jicama, celery, red onion)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp spicy mustard
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- salt & pepper
- Mixed greens
- salt & pepper
- Slice the pressed tofu into flattened squares (see photo above). Add to tupperware with BBQ sauce, vinegar, and liquid smoke. Allow to sit for at least an hour or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Bake the tofu slices for 15 minutes on each side (30 minutes total, or until crisped on the edges & firm to the touch).
- To prepare the potato salad, soak cashews overnight in water (leave 1 inch of water atop the cashews). OR cover cashews in boiling water and allow to sit for 1 hour. Rinse well with water once done soaking (for both methods).
- Roast the potatoes for 15 minutes, or until tender (450 degrees). Allow to cool.
- Add the soaked cashews, 1/3 cup of water, oil, vinegar, mustard, spices, hot sauce, and garlic to a food processor or blender. Scrape down sides, and blend until smooth, thick, and creamy. Add more mustard or hot sauce for spice, more more salt for saltiness.
- Dice raw veggies, and add to a bowl with the roasted potatoes. Coat with a think layer of cashew sauce.
- Assemble the bowls by adding the baked BBQ tofu to a bowl with a scoop of potato salad and a handful of mixed greens.
Potato salad stores in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Potato salad recipe heavily adapted from Minimalist Baker’s Vegan Potato Salad.
Let us know what you think by posting on Instagram with #EnviEats